- Residents and land owners will have the benefit of being in a council area.
- Instead of paying rates to the NT Government, land owners will pay rates to the City of Palmerston.
- Land owners will have the benefit of being in a council area.
- Land owners will begin paying rates, to the City of Palmerston.
- The council develops and maintains community infrastructure such as parks, gardens, swimming pools and street furniture.
- The council contributes to the regulation of the land through by-laws, such as by-laws for animal management. The by-laws are administered by authorised council staff.
- Residents have the right to vote in council elections and to nominate for election to council.
- Access to the council’s waste management arrangements and services.
- The council contributes to the social development of the area in a variety of ways including running libraries, conducting or supporting sporting events and providing social, educational and cultural programs.
- When local issues arise, the council will often be the central point for landowners or residents to raise such issues.
- A larger council area and population will create greater economies of scale for the City of Palmerston to provide municipal services to the council area.
- The increased rates revenue the City of Palmerston will receive is expected to cover its increased administration costs to service a larger area.
- Overall, it will be business as usual in the current City of Palmerston area.
When will the City of Palmerston boundary change?
It is anticipated that the boundary change will be effective from 1 July 2022.
What areas will become part of the City of Palmerston?
Berrimah (including the Northcrest residential development), Elrundie, Tivendale and Wishart.
Will all of the Northern Territory Rates Act 1971 prescribed area be incorporated into the City of Palmerston?
The East Arm area will not be incorporated into the City of Palmerston but the rest of the prescribed area will be.
What are the impacts for residents and land owners in the Northern Territory Rates Act 1971 prescribed area?
What are the impacts for land owners in Elrundie (and outside the Northern Territory Rates Act 1971 prescribed area)?
What are the benefits of being in a local government council area?
What are the impacts for current City of Palmerston residents and land owners?